Energy Assessors Wales comprises a team of fully qualified and accredited Domestic and Commercial Energy Assessors, all of whom are Chartered Surveyors with extensive property experience.

Contact us

Energy Performance Certificates

The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive requires Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and Display Energy Certificates (DECs) to be available on all buildings whether residential or commercial, new build or existing.

For domestic property, in England and Wales an EPC must be made available when a property is either sold or let. It is a requirement that any potential purchaser or tenant can see the EPC for the property at the time of marketing.

For commercial buildings, an Energy Performance Certificate must be provided each time a building is constructed, sold or let. This includes all types of buildings from small local shops, high street multiples and office buildings through to large industrial buildings and warehouses.

For Public Buildings of a certain size which are occupied by public authorities, Display Energy Certificates are a requirement showing the buildings operational rating and how efficiently the building is being used in terms of energy saving measures.

View the latest EPC information here

What does an Energy Performance Certificate look like?

The Energy Performance Certificate is broadly similar to the certificates found on many domestic appliances.

A Certificate gives the building an asset rating based on its energy efficiency, but does not take into account how the property is used by the occupiers. The Certificate will give the building an effieicency rating from A (high) to G (low). The Certificate will also show the building's environmental impact by indicating its carbon-dioxide emissions.

Download sample certificate

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Domestic EPCs

If you are renting or selling a domestic property it is now law to have a certificate. The certificate records how energy efficient a property is as a building and provides A-G ratings. These are similar to the labels now provided with domestic appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines(see EPCs).

They are produced using standard methods and assumptions about energy usage so that the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of the same type. This allows prospective buyers, tenants, owners, occupiers and purchasers to see information on the energy efficiency and carbon emissions from their building so they can consider fuel costs as part of their investment.

An EPC is always accompanied by a recommendation report that lists cost effective and other measures (such as low and zero carbon generating systems) to improve the energy rating. A rating is also given showing what could be achieved if all the recommendations were implemented.

The certificate is important because nearly 50 per cent of the UK's energy consumption and carbon emissions arise from the way our buildings are lit, heated and used. Even comparatively minor changes in energy performance and the way we use each building will have a significant effect in reducing energy consumption.

The role of the Domestic Energy Assessor is to produce Energy Performance Certificates [EPC]. These certificates, like fridges, will provide A - G ratings on the energy efficiency of a home, plus advice on how to make further energy savings.

Domestic Energy Assessors require in-depth knowledge and practical understanding of the energy efficiency of properties.

Energy Assessors Wales have a dedicated team of accredited assessors based in South Wales. We cover the whole of The Principality and have a network of assessors covering the entire UK.

EPCs are mandatory for rented residential property and have to be provided whenever a residential property is let. One major reason for their implementation in the rental sector is to provide tenants with an idea of the likely energy costs involved with a particular let.

Unlike EPCs for sale properties, an EPC for a rental property does not need to be renewed every time the property is put on the rental market and remains valid for a period of 10 years.

Energy Assessors Wales provide a fast and reliable service to landlords. We offer a 24 hour turnaround (dependant on access) and have extremely competative rates. We can offer substantial reductions on portfolios and will pay introductory fees to agents.

Download Domestic EPC sample

Commercial EPCs

From 4th January 2009 all commercial properties of 50 sq m gross internal area or larger require a Commercial EPC from the first day of marketing. Commercial Energy Performance Certificates are required for non-domestic buildings on construction, sale or rent.

It is the responsibility of the person selling or renting a building to have a valid Commercial EPC to show to prospective buyers and tenants. The Commercial Energy Performance Certificate must be given to the eventual buyer or tenant.

Commercial EPCs are not required before the construction of a building is completed. Nor are they required on the sale, rent or construction of:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
  • Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 sq m
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Listed buildings

The maximum penalty for non-compliance is currently £5,000, enforceable by Trading Standards. The penalty notice also includes the requirement to produce a valid Commercial Energy Performance Certificate.

The certificate is valid for ten years, or until a newer commercial EPC is prepared.

On construction: The constructor gives the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendations Report to the purchaser on physical completion of the building and notifies Building Control, who will not issue the Certificate of Completion until the EPC is provided.

On sale/rent: As soon as the building is offered for sale/rent the seller/landlord must make an EPC available to prospective buyers/tenants. The Energy Performance Certificate may be for the whole building or individual units, and completion of a contract should not happen without it. Some multi-tenancy sale/rent scenarios are complex and you should seek advice from an accredited expert to determine whether an Energy Performance Certificate is required for the individual unit or the building as a whole.

On modification: The person undertaking the work is responsible for providing the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendations Report to the client. They must then notify Building Control, who will not issue the Certificate of Completion until the EPC is provided.

Download Commercial EPC sample

Display Energy Certificates

Download sample certificate

Display Energy Certificates

Download sample certificate

Our Client List

Energy Assessors Wales has built strong relationships with property owners and property agents and continue to provide a fast and professional service to all our customers.

Below is a sample of our client list:

Contact Us

If you would like further information regarding Energy Assessors Wales, any of our services or to discuss how our expert energy advisors can help you with your energy performance, please contact us using the contact form below.

Alternatively please contact us directly on 0844 478 1234 or